(TV) My father was Sister Ray

The last issue of I think Mojo had one of the most interesting articles I
have ever read on The Velvets, concentrating on the Loaded sessions and the
Yule led Squeeze band.  Incredible stuff, also has an amazing Big Star
article.
My life would be pretty pointless without my Velvets and Lou-Cale-Nico-Moe
solo stuff.
They are and will always be my favorite band (Verlaine and crew a distant
second).

Disc one of the box set is marred by the editing choices.  Whoever decided to
not sparate the songs into individual tracks really did a disservice to
listeners.  The songs are fascinating (The Cale vocal version of Venus In
Furs is amazing), but without the capability of getting to each take
separately is tedious.  I found the best thing to do is to scan through and
make your own tape copies of the individula takes.  Time consuming but well
worth it.
As far as favorite Velvet album.  White Light White Heat is for me their
crowning moment.  It is the only one with just the four key members and of
course has Sister Ray.  Loaded is my least favorite album because without Moe
it just doesn't sound like The Velvets to me.

The Blue Mask is easily one of Lou's best albums.  It also clearly marks the
beginning of his latter period trading axes first with Quine then later with
Rathke.
My favorite Reed albums remain his Arista works from 76-80.  Specifically
Street Hassle and The Bells.  Lester Bangs called them the only true Jazz
Rock fusion made up to that point and I tend to mostly agree.  The Bells
especially with Ornette Coeman graduate Don Cherry is essential.  I think
these albums (Rock and Roll Heart, take No Prisoners and Growing Up In Public
included) really show how great a vocalist Reed was.  Not a great singer, but
vocally able to sound like no one else.  His vocals from that period are some
of the most expressive and creative I have ever heard.  Compare him vocally
on these records with The Blue Mask and after period.  The difference is
pretty astounding.
Buddha is re-releasing Rock and Roll Heart and The Bells in the next few
months.  Long overdue and important re-issues.  I hope that Reed's back
catalogue is finally given the respect and attention it deserves.......
Jeremy (us)