Re: (TV) Blue Mask, the Velvets

Yeah, I too love the version of "Ocean" that appears on the Polygram box (and
on disc 1 of the FULLY LOADED set) - the final version the VU cut, I believe.

I also dig the LOADED-era "Ride into the Sun", which adds the extra coda (the
"it's hard to the live in the city" piece), and, I suspect, was meant as a
thematic counterpoint to "Train Round the Bend", which works along similar
themes of the city vs. the country.

Funny, when they 'restored' LOADED, they didn't correct a number of other
things Lou Reed has always said were "wrong" with the album: e.g., the guitar
solo on "Train Round the Bend", and more importantly, the LP's running order,
which Reed claims should have been dramatically different, with various songs
"answering" other songs.

--Philip

P.S. Luna does a *great* cover of the VU-era version of "Ride into the Sun"
(e.g., with vocals, but without the "city" coda) on their SLIDE EP. Worth the
price of the EP.

--- SCOTT ALDRICH <scott.aldrich@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I started listening to Blue Mask after all the discussion, and I like Bob
> Quine and Lou's work, but Fernando Saunders bass playing sounds a bit too
> Jaco-funky for my taste. Kind of ruins it for me. I thought it would be
> White Light/White Heat revisited, which in a way the Voidoids is. Does Live
> In Italy have this feel as well? Speaking of the Velvets I'm listening to
> "Hey Mr. Rain" right now. This is the Velvets sound Yo La Tengo goes for in
> my opinion. Lou and Sterling's almost country/R & B feel of the 3rd record
> and Loaded (i.e. "What Goes On", "Beginning To See The Light") against John
> Cale's psychedelic howling viola. Masterful pop. On the question of "Ocean",
> I was introduced to it through 1969 as a kid, really dug the VU demo version
> (from between the 3rd record and Loaded), but after hearing the fully
> orchestrated version on the box set (and I suppose on Fully Loaded?), that's
> the version that sends shivers down my spine. That as an A-side and "Ride
> Into The Sun" as the flip would have been a psychedelic single to rival
> "Strawberry Fields"/"Penny Lane", the Kinks "Days"/"She's Got Everything" or
> "Wonderboy"/"Polly", or better yet any Dave Davies single from the era. In
> fact "Ride Into The Sun" sounds like a lost George Harrison song from the
> White Album to me! Really. Anyone else?

=====
"It's amazing how our industry is strewn with beautiful, dead technology and bitter engineers." --M. Huyck