Re: (TV) Your "soul" music

In a message dated 4/4/00 11:02:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jh@brainiac.com
writes:

> As a conversation starter, what do you put on when you've been emptied out
> and need to fill up again?

Joe hit it on the head ... depends on the cause of the leak.

If I'm stressed, I need maximum power to help burn it out. I definitely
remember having the occasional awful & infuriating day at work and needing
Husker Du in the car at top volume on the way home to help burn it out. My
wife appreciated it, whether she knew it or not. 20 minutes of that (with me
screaming along) and there's no crankiness left.

If I'm tired, I need something soothing. Joe said "Sofa #1 from OSFA is
almost perfect" (he's wrong, it *IS* perfect). Any of Zappa's quieter
instrumental work (like "Peaches En Regalia") will do it as well. I'm also an
old Steely Dan fan, and that works well too.

And always, Who or Pete Townshend albums never cease to bring a smile back to
my face. I listen to a lot of different stuff, so when I come back to an old
Who album (oddly enough, I usually start with THE WHO SELL OUT), I always
feel picked back up. It's got some aggressive tunes, some quieter stuff, and
the parody commercials are always fun. A nice mix to straighten things back
out.

    -- Owen

Owen Gwilliam
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/otg

"I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn"
    -- Neil Innes, "Protest Song"