From: SCOTT ALDRICH [mailto:scott.aldrich@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2000 2:48 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) what's doing it for you

What's the Embarrassment? Is that the midwestern group that were on the NY
scene around the time of the Feelies with the same nerdy aesthetic (like the
dB's as well?) Always wanted to check them out. What's it like? What records
are the ones to hear?

Also, I know this is all off-tv topic, but there's not a lot of news coming
out of the Television camp. Is Verlaine's playing on Gung-Ho really so
indistinctive? My interest is piqued, I'm going to have to pick up a copy.
Does anyone know what projects Tom is working on? I'd love to hear some of
that film music developed. What was so great about hearing Tom and Rip play
in front of those films was the immediacy of the guitars and the lack of
production, for me anyway. To hear some of that music developed into a
statement would definitely do it for me.
Richard Lloyd is playing out these days, apparently with Bibi Farber on
rhythm guitar. Anyone heard any of that stuff/know when he's playing in the
New York area?
Though they might be old farts, the Mekons are still rocking and gave a
spirited, if drunken, performance at the Bowery Ballroom last month. More
interestingly, their new album out last month is really superb, after a few
listens. They really keep on growing, which is something innit?
Scott
----------
>From: bedwellm@WellsFargo.COM
>To: tv@obbard.com
>Subject: RE: (TV) what's doing it for you
>Date: Tue, Apr 18, 2000, 3:07 PM
>

> For me: John McLaughlin on "What I Say" off of Miles Davis' Live-Evil.
Pete
> Cosey off of anything he plays on with Miles. Kevin Shields from My Bloody
> Valentine.
> -finally, that guitarist from the Embarrassment.
>
> Sweet Lord!
>
> Micah

Vegas",
> sizzling solo), Merle Haggard's 60's Capitol singles, like "Mama Tried",
and
> Rick Nelson's late 50's singles, and on Dale Hawkins early rockabilly
> singles (though it isn't clear whether it's him or Roy Buchanan on which
> tracks, whoever is playing smokes).
> Cliff Gallup, from Gene Vincent & the Blue Caps (Race With The Devil,
Ain't
> She Sweet, so smooth).
> Jeff Beck on "Truth" (just got a UK mono copy of the LP, while a little
> surface-noisy, is still phenomenal and better than the common mix. It's
> everything you hoped he would do on "Roger the Engineer" by the
Yardbirds.)
> Richard Thompson (that intro to the Calvary Cross on I Want To See The
> Bright Lights Tonight is like a bagpipe's mournful call to arms!, also
Roll