RE: (TV) Ray / Marc /Ziggy

It is perhaps interesting to note that Tom Verlaine never really cared that much about the Beatles; he much prefered The Stones, The Byrds (or even Petulia Clark!):

Tom V. (Option Magazine Sept./Oct. 1987):  "...I remember in the '60s, I never really liked the Beatles, I liked some Rolling Stones...this guy in some classical magazine had written this piece because, in the '60s, it had become very fashionalbe for sort of "high brow" music lovers to call the Beatles melodic geniuses. Glenn Gould didn't agree at all. He just said that because it was so well-orchestrated, and George Martin was doing all the stuff, he said they had a couple of good melodies. But they were nothing as good as Petula Clark. You know who she was, "Downtown" and "I Know A Place", and all those other songs. He more or less pointed to the fact that all her things were produced, written and arranged by this guy Tony Hatch.
"And I had to agree with him immediately because the melodies of these Pet Clark songs were like really great, really soaring and joyous, much stronger and more memorable than the Beatles songs. To come out and say that there was a sort of genius behind Pet Clark, especially for a man who is, in a sense, in the upper echelons of the classical music world, is really quite a brave thing to do in a way. There are pop critics who wouldn't consider Pet Clark anything but a sort of pop singer. But if you get her greatest hits album, these songs, the melodies on them, the arrangements on them are just great, amazing actually, considering the kind of happier pop tunes of the day are nowhere near as good as those are. It could be looked at as incredibly naive. The lyric content is, like a song called "Downtown" where all the lights are bright, this young person with this incredible idealization toward the city and going there. It's unambivalent, that's what I like about it. Rather than!
 naivete, I like unambivalent songs, statements. But I can't say I'm a Pet Clark fan."
	Leo