Re: (TV) Salon: "Courtney Love Does the Math"

Really interesting article, thanks for the link!  It
is exactly why we decided, despite numerous lucrative
offers, that the Tribute cd should not go to a major
label.  Seriously, I think she makes a good point,
quite insightful about how groups like napster
threaten the majors stranglehold on distribution and
shutting them down is a simple strategic method for
cutting off another the latest option for artists to
promote their tunes.

She also mentioned that majors opening web sites
entitles them to ownership of the artists names (did I
read that right?), does that mean that the Italian web
page (tomVerlaine.com or something like that) now owns
our hero?  Bring in the Marshalls!

Greg, who sounds like he is really busy at work by
typing a long diatribe (now I will phone the person in
the cubicle next to me).

Afterthought: Would I rather be a broke touring
musician on a major label or working (well pissing
around today) in a cubicle?  Ohhh my life is wasted...

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/06/14/love/index.html