Re: (TV) TOM'S recording @

    Tom has 3 LP ready to go. Smells Like Records was going to release one
of the 2 instrumental LP's but Tom got to mixed up in the nuts 'n' bolts of
the release which frustrated Steve so he passed on it. The guy needs to
license his recordings and trust that people will get him the most that they
can. One distributor told me that he'd rather have old Television demos over
a new instrumental Verlaine LP. For that he could command a premium price,
but not for a new Verlaine instrumental LP. Bill Levenson recently told
Quine and I at a meeting that people like Verlaine, Patti, and even Lou Reed
are better off releasing their own material on their own labels and selling
them thru the internet. Lou doesn't need Warner Bros. to help him sell
50,000 CD's of "Ecstacy", nor doers Patti need Arista to help her sell
25,000 CD's of "Gung Ho". What could Tom sell these days 5,000 maybe? What
label would put up with his paranoia only to sell 5,000 units? No one in
their right mind. M T C