Re: (TV) Meltzer, Tom, Costello, critics

At 7:18 PM -0400 8/2/00, Casey, Leo J wrote:
I claim (half seriously) that a considerable part of Costello's success was that many males in the late 70's to early 80's who did not possess the archetypical male looks/body that the media were always selling, could better relate to someone who looked as nerdy as they might have

I'm going to show my age here, but in my own misspent youth, warped considerably by access to Creem Magazine, I encountered some rock star's comment on exactly this point. ("The reason so many critics like Elvis Costello is because they all _look_ like Elvis Costello!") Anyone remember who said it? (btw, I also have and enjoy the first four EC LPs.)

And: