(TV) Recent stuff....

Hey there, everybody. After a serious career shift (now freelancing from home; 's going great, thanks), I'm able to take a minute from my workload to comment on a couple things:

Eric--I still owe you a review.  I'm a delinquent, to be sure.

Lester's dislike of TV notwithstanding, I've been digging the _Psychotic_ anthology a lot. And DeRogatis's bio is a fine book, which I read on vacation in August. (And the paragraph describing the end of Lester's tenure at _Creem_ resonated for me in a particular way, I have to say.)

Don't get me started on digital/analog/tubes/transistors. I've still got to fix up my Eico HF-81. I think I'll agree with Mike, though--digital _can_ be done well, but it so often isn't. Vinyl and CD mastering are _way_ different, and lazily reusing vinyl masters for a CD is criminal, but sadly common. Cheap A/d and D/A converters don't help, either.

Recent treasures: I've been listening to my copy of Test Patterns, and apart from the unfortunate typographical omissions in the credits, it's a great thing. ("Guiding Light" should be Lloyd/Verlaine; I made this change, but I think I sent in the wrong PDF in the end... Sorry, Richard.) I'm particularly grooving on "Sixteen Tulips," "Misty Eyes," "Lightning Struck Itself," Joe's great solo on "Prove It," "Friction," and Chris's glorious take on "Guiding Light." Great job, everyone!

Other treasures: the new Legacy/Columbia Louis Armstrong box. It covers 1925-1929, and if you think he's just this guy who sang "What a Wonderful World" you have no idea what you're missing. Transcendent.

The new Poster Children: _DDD_. Very rocking, exuberant disc from a band that should be better known than they are. At the very least, download the single ("This Town Needs a Fire") from http://www.posterchildren.com/ But there are songs on there that blow the single away.

Silkworm: _Lifestyle_. Great new collections of songs and a mighty live show from these Pacific Northwest titans. I got chills during the live performance of "Bloody Eyes."

Neil Young's _Zuma_ has been on obsessive rotation.  Can't get enough of it.

And I'm glad to see the list active again. Welcome back, everybody.

-Maurice

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/