RE: (TV) Howdy / Kinks reissues

Hi Micah,

Which do you mean, the 60s reissues on Castle or the 70s/80s reissue on Velvel?

I've got almost all of both, just missing a few of the mid-70s albums and LIVE
AT KELVIN HALL from the 60s reissues. All in all, they are pretty nice -
although the music is much patchier in the 70s/80s, they (the Velvel reissues)
are the better reissues in terms of packaging/liner notes/bonus material,
unearthing some great rarities (the original "Preservation" single, which is
better than both of the albums with the same name, both of the outtakes on the
excellent MUSWELL HILLBILLIES, some of the extra stuff on SLEEPWALKER inc.
"Prince of the Punks", etc).

The 60s reissues are pretty good too - several key albums are restored to mono
(including VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY), and a few rarities and
alternate mixes are unearthed (including the entire 12-track stereo version of
VILLAGE GREEN). My only major complaint is that they omitted a few key tracks
(e.g., "She's Got Everything", "Did You See His Name?", and almost all of the
stuff that first appeared on THE GREAT LOST KINKS ALBUM, like the VILLAGE GREEN
outtakes "Misty Water", "Lavender Hill", and "Rosemary Rose", etc) for no clear
reason - definitely not CD space.

Also, for some reason, the US versions of the 60s reissues have NO bonus
material! Ack! I think there was a licensing problem, but fortunately, the UK
versions are pretty common here.

If I had to name my favorite reissues across both series, I would choose:
FACE TO FACE (mono, some choice single tracks and rarities)
SOMETHING ELSE (mono, some choice single tracks and rarities)
MUSWELL HILLBILLIES (fantastic album all around, now with two good outtakes)

An honorable mention also goes to SLEEPWALKER, for including some good outtakes
and "Prince of the Punks", even if it's not as strong an album all-around.

--Philip