Re: (TV) Intro to TV

Keith Allison wrote:

> In message <3A47F9BFBAC2D211B73000105A207AAF01E7C536@us-nor-exch-
> 1.atl.unisys.com>, Forster, Michael H. <michael.forster@unisys.com>
> writes
> >--How many times did you
> >--have to hear it before it kicked in?

I've told my tale before, but here it is again:
I lived in Cleveland '73-78 & was a DJ & music director fro WRUW-FM. The
commercial station, WMMS, besides being voted the #1 station in the US
every year during that time, also was one of the most influencial, breaking
such bands nationally as Springsteen, Bowie & Roxy Music (Clevo was the #3
record market in the US at the time) (note: 'MMS was also VERY reactionary
when the local scene hit, going out of their way to antagonize. They had a
copy of the 1st 'Tators LP up in the air studio with the blurb "Is the the
worst LP ever made")
   Anyways. at the time they were Roxy Music crazy, enough that even mom &
pop record stores had import bins with Eno LPs (& krautrock!). 'MMS was at
this time playing the Eno/TV demos on regular rotation! I've been a long
time 13th Floor Elevators fanatic enough to want to see any band who would
cover Fire Engine. Saw them at the legendary Picadiily Inn show, thought
they were great, but they took forever to tune between songs. I DID fall in
love with the opening band, Rocket From The Tombs.
  As soon as they had anything out, which was the Ork 45, I grabbed it. Not
only did I love it, but my roommate hated it, which resulted in it being
played very loud & very often!!!
    Tom's voice never bothered me - I love voices like that! Great singers
like Dylan, Incredible String Band, Roger Chapman, Kevin Coyne.
    BTW, just caught Pere Ubu a couple weeks ago at The Knitting Factory -
interesting tour as they don't have anything to promote, just the 25th
Anniversary. But they DO have a new CD only being sold at shows, a complete
2 set show from The Mistake in '75 (other band was Tin Huey - wonder if
tapes of them from that show exist?)

All the ebst,
GaryM