Re: (TV) What's Happening?

At 10:34 PM +0000 11/21/00, Nick Powell wrote:
Ok, see if we can get something going. As the Xmas season is pretty
close(although I've not done any shopping yet) what musical present would
you most like as a Xmas present. You can have 2 choices, one has to be
something currently available in the shops but the other can be a rarity
that you would love someone to find and buy for you.

Hmmm. Off the top of my head, the _Complete Riverside Recordings_ of Thelonious Monk would be an amazing present. 'Course, it's 15 CDs, and is running around $200 US...but it's a treasure. When I was completely broke, I used to get it out of the library for a week every now and again...until someone ripped it off and took it down to the used CD shop.

Rarities... Good question. Some of La Monte Young's stuff is pretty hard to get. I actually have _The Second Dream of the High-Tension Step-down Transformer_ (for eight trumpets in just intonation), and it's stunning. I've heard the Well-Tuned Piano set, which is pretty difficult to "get" in one sitting, being 5 CDs long. Maybe a good recording of the original Dream Syndicate with John Cale....

What about everyone else?  Nick?  Joe?

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/