(TV) Bob Gruen

Have you read the interview with photographer Bob Gruen at nytrash.com?
Here's his take on Richard Hell's ripped shirts:

"One night Richard Hell apparently had a fight with a girlfrend. I don't
know if it was over drugs or whatever. There were a lot of rumors as to
what the reason was but one way or another somebody cut up all his
clothes. He had to go out, so he took a bunch of safety pins and just
pinned them together where they were ripped...Well, Malcolm saw that and
he was fascinated by the "unique design". This wasn't fashion, it was
more like how do you get out of the house when you've got no clothes
left?"

More Gruen stuff at Greatmodernpictures.com. He has some great
Television photos but I can't find them on the internet.

Fred Smith, Billy Ficca, Richard Hell, Debbie Harry, Joey Ramone, Sean
Lennon, Liv Tyler and many other people were at Bob Gruen's birthday
party in October 1990 or 1991. I took photos of it with my cheap little
camera. Earlier that week Fred and Billy had been rehearsing for the
Television reunion album. At the party Fred was goofing around with Ivan
Julian and Coyote Shivers. Coyote asked Fred to introduce me, but Coyote
made no impression on me. It was the first I'd heard of him. Ian Astbury
rescued me from the conversation. Coyote met Bebe Buell at the same
party. (They fell in love, married and recently divorced.) The next day
Tom asked how the party was. I told him about Liv and Bebe. Tom said he
knew Bebe when she had a baby with his friend Todd Rundgren. I said,
"Liv is the baby." Tom was surprised at how time flies. We were at an
Indian restauarant and he gave me the plum that was on his plate, it was
some kind of marinated plum. He told me about "Mars" and "Rocket", only
because I was grilling him about new songs as usual. I wonder if that
was when he thought up the line about the plum blossom. On second
thought, he's always had a thing about plums. I have a drawing he drew
in my notebook. It was a self portrait he captioned "Where's my plums?"
I think it was published in Search & Destroy. I have notebooks full of
Tom's hilarious sketches and poems. I forced him to write them. (I take
back what I said about him being the control freak.) Wherever we were I
would whip out paper and pen. It was an annoying habit of mine but now I
have a precious collection of private Tom poems. I came across them
today when I unpacked my NYC boxes. Here's the most revealing one:

Poem please,
or no sex.
Tease!!

Definitely talking too much tonight