Re: (TV) amps

"Michael Olcsvary" <olcsvary@icehouse.net> wrote:
> "Tone" has become the latest buzzword among guitar players,
> probably hyped by the manufactuers and magazines because it's the only
> aspect of playing that can be bought - after a large enough expenditure, of
> course.

I often see posts on guitar newsgroups of the type "How do I get Steve
Vai's tone?" or "What gear did Kurt Cobain use?"* with the implication
that it's all in the hardware.  'Snot, folks.  Sorry.  I love the way
particular pieces of gear sound when I play through 'em, like my Ampeg
ReverbeRocket II tube amp (the one with the accordion input jack!), but
just because Richard or Tom or Jimi or Frank used box X doesn't mean I'll
sound like them!

The "wow" factor in amps these days is the ability for one amp to have
an amazingly wide variety of sounds.