Re: (TV) Christmas Travel CD selection

John Zorn - The Bribe & Spy vs Spy
>Another fine one.

I really can't get enough of the bribe. Quine's playing is exhilirating.

_The Bribe_ is one I need to get. Quine is great in general, but there's something about his playing with Zorn that really does it for me. _Spy vs. Spy_ is another great band--it's the disc that got me into Tim Berne's stuff. (Check out his Bloodcount band if you get a chance--the _Unwound_ performances are amazing, particularly when drummer Jim Black cuts loose.)

Is there a zorn-list out there somewhere? I'd really like to branch out and find out some more about the guy. I only really found out about him about four months ago, after mentioning to a friend that i'll be interviewing Quine for my magazine, and he insisted that I talk about his work with Zorn. In hopes of not be outed, i said "Oh for sure!", then ran out of my apartment to find whatever quine had done with Zorn.

You're right, Quine is great in general, but there is something very spooky about his playing on this record. Its just as spontaneous as, say, Blank Generation, but theres this incredible control in his playing that I don't think is quite so evident elsewhere. It really stands out above any of the other instruments on the record.

Oh, and by the way, my girlfriend finally got me to admit that I'm a record addict.

I've joined the club.

Total count for recordpurchases this week: 6

I'm a sad sad case.

-eric