Re: (TV) Christmas Travel CD selection

At 2:13 PM +0000 12/21/00, Eric Veillette wrote:

At 5:59 PM +0000 12/20/00, Eric Veillette wrote:
Ornette Coleman Trio - Live in Stockholm

Ooh--great band. Ever see the film of this trio?

This is all I own and have ever heard/seen. I'll look into getting some more. I hear Free Jazz is amazing.

It takes a lot of work, I think--two quartets, one in each channel. I've listened to it, but it hasn't yet revealed itself to me. The film of the trio isn't a concert film, really--it's a follow-the-band-around-Paris kind of thing, along with the band in the studio doing a stunning performance of "Sadness" (I think) for the soundtrack to some lousy film. It's astonishing to see the director just not getting that he has _Ornette Coleman_ doing the music for him. ("That wasn't right, can you do it again?")

John Zorn - The Bribe & Spy vs Spy
 >Another fine one.

I really can't get enough of the bribe. Quine's playing is exhilirating.

_The Bribe_ is one I need to get. Quine is great in general, but there's something about his playing with Zorn that really does it for me. _Spy vs. Spy_ is another great band--it's the disc that got me into Tim Berne's stuff. (Check out his Bloodcount band if you get a chance--the _Unwound_ performances are amazing, particularly when drummer Jim Black cuts loose.)

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/