Re: (TV) Jazz

Maurice Rickard <maurice@mac.com> wrote:
> If we did have a working set, I might feel ambivalent about
> watching--apparently a lot of really good stuff get short shrift from
> Wynton.

I've been drifting in and out of it.  I simply lack the time to watch
umpteen hours of TV.  It seems that every time I flip in, Louis
Armstrong's on the set, though the early days of Benny Goodman got
thrown in as well.  I would have thought that after all this time
we'd have gotten farther along, but it hasn't happened.

>  Monk, for example, is dispensed with in five minutes, so
> I've read in reviews.

Given that Wynton Marsalis is Burns' guide, this doesn't surprise
me.  I've never thought Marsalis thought much of Jazz after 1938 or so.
More voices than his should have guided Burns, especially after that
point.  Bebop, free Jazz, Fusion - I know they'll all get short shrift
at Marsalis' hands.  I wonder if they'll cover any of the Latin influences,
like Chano Pozo or Tito Puente.  They had a tremendous influence on
Dizzy and Miles, but not until a bit later.