RE: (TV) VH1 Transcript

Thanks for the VH1 transcript!

	Leo

-----Original Message-----
From: secretX@webtv.net [mailto:secretX@webtv.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 1:03 AM
To: TV@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) VH1 Transcript

Television was given one minute, 15 seconds on "VH1's Greatest Albums of
Rock and Roll". The photos shown were beautiful early black and whites,
plus one of Tom in a bright red shirt, Also shown: a few seconds of a
black and white video of a guy running down a street carrying a
television. His shirt said, "Little Johnny.." Jeff Bridges hosted the
show. (Tom likes him, he's seen a few of his films.) I'm glad they
didn't have Hanson comment on Television!! They spoke about REM.) Here's
what was said about album #83, which was between Paul Simon's
"Graceland" and AC/DC's "Back in Black" (Otis Redding was #81):

Narrator: New York art band Television was an underground phenomenon of
the 70's when they released their revolutionary rock album "Marquee
Moon" (About six seconds of MM plays, ending with: "...hesitating")

Elliot Smith: "Marquee Moon" is one of my favorite records. The title
track, which is, like, ten minutes long, is just a great song.

Narrator: Critics found the 1977 debut hard to resist due to its
eclectic punk sound juxtaposed against guitarists Tom Verlaine and
Richard Lloyd's psychedelic inspired jams.

Elvis Costello: I love the arrangements, I like the way the songs were
constructed. It's a very edgy record

Narrator: Though Television broke up within a year, the influence of
Marquee Moon endured and paved the way for the melodic guitar sounds of
the '80's post punk movement.

Henry Rollins: That's a knockout, stellar, beautifful record. It's also
very timeless. Yeah, Verlaine's a monster guitar player. (Music plays:
"...see no evil...")

End