RE: (TV) Hanson

At 9:14 AM -0500 1/17/01, Joe Hartley wrote:

Re: Monk - I love his music.  It's just great.  Monk himself was a
man who only sporadically intersected with our universe - most of the time
he was just out there.  If it weren't for the fact that his wife took
care of all the mundane details of life on this planet, Monk would have
ceased to be Monk long before he shuffled off this plane of existence.
There are musical saints in this world who play not a single note of their
own, but make it possible for great music to happen.  Monk's wife was
one of them.

Yeah, that's one of the things that really comes through in "Straight, No Chaser," how accommodating Nellie was. The interview segments with Thelonious Jr. shed some light on how difficult it must have been to live with Monk's manic depression (or whatever he was battling), but apparently Nellie felt that he was doing his best to take care of them, so the rest of the family had to help take care of him. And there's the scene from Monk's funeral, with Nellie and Nica seated next to each other. If that scene doesn't break your heart, I don't know what will.

--
Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/