Re: (TV) Jazz Monk

Cool! _Monk Himself_ might best be played on repeat, all night. (Give it a shot, who knows? It might rub off...) I haven't listened to the Ellington interpretations much--it's interesting and good, but hearing Monk do Monk is the real payoff for me (like hearing Ellington do Ellington).

If you need to acclimate your girlfriend to some of Monk's larger-band pieces, the Town Hall concert is the way to go. The larger horn section arrangements are incredibly lush, and when they kick in (on "Mood" and "Nellie"), it's perfect music. ('Course, the two versions of "Little Rootie Tootie" can wear on me if I'm in the wrong mood...) I see that CDNow has it, so it's in print. The full title: The Thelonious Monk Orchestra At Town Hall.

I'd agree that BC is probably for the headphones before full acclimation, but tell me it isn't one hell of a tune! (And the backstory behind the session is fascinating. I don't think the thing was ever played all the way through.)

-Maurice