From: chelsea girl [mailto:pxe2000@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 4:40 PM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) archaeology of a fan

> Chelsea, Welcome to the list! What we REALLY want to
> know is whether or
> not you have a copy of "Arrow" that you want to give
> away. We're a very
i wish!  sadly, the only live recording i have of
television is _the blow up_.  while it's not as
wonderful as _marquee moon_ (what is, really?), it's
really fun to listen to and good to throw on at work
(along with the lothars and abunai, some noisy local
bands).

a brief introduction:
i first discovered television in the spring of 1998 --
kept hearing that _marquee moon_ was among the
greatest things to come down the pike since sliced
cheesecake and finally got my hands on an affordable
copy.  when i first heard it it was...okay.  i think i
had the same problem many people do when they first
see, say, _citizen kane_ -- that is to say, my mindset
at the time was "okay, greatest
punk/guitar/avant/whatever album of all time, surprise
me."  its coldness put me off a bit.  a few short
months later, i purchased a copy of _in the aeroplane
over the sea_ and found that _marquee moon_ was
sneaking into my cd clamshell when _aeroplane_ wasn't
on my headphones.  part of it was, it gave my mind
respite when i wasn't caught up in the cathartic swirl
of neutral milk hotel.  it felt good to give my mind
another thing to think about, specifically those
gorgeous spiralling guitar solos that could be songs
on their own.  damn.  it was so intense and it gave me
goosebumps in a way i wasn't used; i'd never really
marvelled over "geetar" bands before.

one of the things that really impresses me about
television is that their guitar sound isn't wanky.
tom and richard aren't trying to play every note and
every chord, just the ones that count.  and the solos
are so melodic, never gratuitous.  plus, they have a
great ability at a pop song.  love "venus" (though it
makes me long for noo yawk).  incidentially, i played
"marquee moon" for my mother's new husband, a
classic-rock-loving guitar slinger who gave me a
speech about how "it's all in the notes you don't
play".  his response?  "wow, that was
really...boring."

i've gabbed on for far too long.  hi all!

--chelsea

=====
chelsea the mod pixie*tugboat@channel1.com
       http://www.pixievision.com
"and if i was a word, would my letters number a hundred?
more likely coarse and vulnerable, one-syllable anglo-saxon." -- d. boon