(TV) _hedwig_, _almost famous_

> not familiar with stephen trask or john
> hedwig...ought i know em??
it really depends -- _hedwig_ was an off-broadway
musical about a chanteuse and failed transsexual who
mentored a guy who became sort of a cross btwn bon
jovi and david bowie.  the music is great, but the
story can be off-putting for those who don't know what
they're getting into.  if you liked _velvet goldmine_,
this would also be of interest.

> sedated & pleased...but after a bourbon & 15 minutes
> of (not too hard) reflection, i realized it wasn't
> any different
> from any other run of the mill hollywood, let's jerk
> you round emotionally with no genuine payoff, piece
> of shit...&
it's becoming clear to me that crowe is crying like a
spanked child to become the genx frank capra.  some of
his stuff is charming, but he does have something of a
virgin/whore complex (i just did a paper that dealt in
part with _fast times at ridgemont high_, and couldn't
completely articulate it in there), and when he gets
into moralizing he falls on his face.  it's hard for
me to get worked up over _af_ since there were so many
other bad films this year (anyone here see _chick &
buck_?  howsabout _goya in bordeaux_?) that were more
worthy of my annoyance.

> crowe's lil stand in character was most
> noxious...even execrable....
i dunno.  i thought he was kinda cute, in a
male-claire danes sort of way.  the character himself
came off as jiminy cricket in a flannel shirt, though.

my course advisor at suffolk actually gave me a copy
of the meltzer piece both b/c he knew i liked bangs
and because we'd been discussing _af_ for the past few
weeks, debating its merits.  as i said, i can see
where meltzer is coming from, since he was there, man.

--chelsea

=====
chelsea the mod pixie*tugboat@channel1.com
       http://www.pixievision.com
"and if i was a word, would my letters number a hundred?
more likely coarse and vulnerable, one-syllable anglo-saxon." -- d. boon