Re: (TV) hedwig/jobriath

so now i'm curious....is the hedwig musical based on
jobriath???
apparently , tod haynes has said here & there that "velvet
goldmine" owed more than a little/lot to jobriath's sad &
tragic star-crossed career.
(jobriath was perhaps the first openly 100% homosexual
rock/pop star ever...bowie et al only ever hinted at it or
else they copped the bi tag...i think his 2 recs were on a
major & there was a decent push on behalf of the rec label
at the time (72?), esp. in metros like nyc & la, but the
company decided he was too outre (not musically...it sounds
like a cross betwixt bowie's music hall stuff & earlier,
slightly glammier elton john) & subsequently bailed on
him...
he ended up in the chelsea hotel, sad & broke, working
cabarets & dies of aids in 82....none of his stuff is
currently available, tho morrissey (!) of all (sorta) people
was talking bout getting it reissued a coupla yrs ago).