(TV) Translation of MM Liner Notes of Japanese Pressing of the Album a nd Japanese CD

I think this one's better than the previous Dreamtime "review"/translation.

	Leo

Notes To Japanese Pressing of the Album and Japanese CD, Marquee Moon

"I was listening to a song from Television.  The first album for them,  "Marquee Moon."  It was a right before sunrise when I was filled with yearning.  Even though it was just two years since it's recording had been announced.  I felt so much yearning.  I don't want to say why now, but I want to put in my pocket.
	So many new bands had appeared from New York and London with new names.  It was 1976;  in New York, Patti Smith, Blondie, Tuff Darts, Morans [sic? Ramones?], Mink Deville, Shirts, Wayne County, Sherry Vanilla, and Television had come out.
	It was spring of 1976 that I found the name of band called "Television".  I thought it was just an odd name.  It took a while to know more about each person in the band.   After a while I found Tom Verlaine.  He was a tall and skinny and impressive.  It seemed that he was so sensitive.
	Then came their first album " Marquee Moon".  I felt so metallic and dynamic from the album. Tom Verlaine's high tone of vocal voice, high metallic sound from the guitar.  "Marquee Moon" created a fresh musical space.
	I had the complete experience of Tom Verlaine's sound, his vocal, and guitar from their live show.  He had total control.  His leadership went so smooth.  Television is  Tom Verlaine. Tom Verlaine is the Television.  I could confirm that.
	I bought ten 30 cm single album for " Marquee Moon" that was just newly released.  The young clerk at the store was so surprised. It was a gift for my friend in Tokyo.
	At the beginning of 1978, Blondie came to Japan.  Deborah Harry was so charming.  Then the second album "Adventure" was announced from Television.  The sound was so good that I felt like pop music had sprung all over.
	In the summer of the same year, Television broke up so suddenly.  According to Richard Lloyd who was a one of the nice looking members,  "Television was Tom's band".  According to the Tom Verlaine, he decided one night while he was walking on the street in the moonlight.  He just felt he wanted to break-up the band.  He sounded like his girl friend Patti Smith who was a rock singer and poem writer.
	There was a rumor that he was planning to do a solo album, but he continued his silence for a short while.  Then the silence went away.  He was supported by Fred Smith, on bass, Patti Smith's drum player, Jay D. Daugherty.  They joined the band.  Tom Verlaine continued to send us his solo album.  Many rock'n rollers in New York thought he was odd, narcissistic and unfriendly.  However, I could not forget such a kind person.  He was talented, energetic and created "Marquee Moon". Did he return in kind?    No, he was just always there, and he just kept his silence.

"I don't want to say that I always go after new things, but I feel newly created things give us interesting choices.  If you do not stay away from normal life style, we can't "go" for it.
	Moreover, we have a new weapon in our modern society, TV.  It gives us a one- way message if we like or not, you can hear a cold, laughing voice from the rectangle shaped box.
	In such a time, there was a new group and its album, which generated great interest.  Now I feel the meaning of the group Television, and I'm so surprised and terrified.  At the same time I was always interested in the person's name Tom Verlaine,  who was the lead member.  He wakes me up to my new senses.  I cannot tell you about the new direction of the rock'n roll without telling you about him.
	He left so many things in the rock'n roll music world in New York.  The spirit of rock'n roll has been changed in 21st century.  However, you can feel the sense of what he left for us in it.  I cannot tell you new rock'n roll without telling you about Tom Verlaine.
	The rise of punks and new wave music gave him a sense of inspiration and energy.  It made him come back to the world again.
	I don't want you to think that Television went away because they could not survive in New York, in which you cannot even breathe because of the power struggle and because so many changes are happening at once.  The important points of Tom Verlaine is that what you are going to see in " Marquee Moon" is, you have to change to listen to his music, and later in you life how you are going to feel.
	Marquee Moon makes us feel so metallic, unbreathable and feels so odd.  Such a crazy  kind of atmosphere will never change---even though time will change.
	I can imagine him smiling.  When Ramones, Talking Heads, Patti Smith and Blondie are so active, I feel Tom's smiling in them.
	When you think about the smart music business people, they created the world.  You can think about New Wave coming to the discos.  Then you can think about listening to his solo album smoothly.
	I can see the new 80's generation.  They are so tearing [sic]. His mad tone becomes so clear. Tom Verlaine is the next rock'n roll generation's new power.
	His sense can be sprung in 80's with his reputation of the rock'n roll big ship in underground New York.  He knows when and where to come out and I believe that his challenge has meaning to the world.
	Moreover if you fall into his music that creates hidden emptiness,  don't forget there are big holes to be dropped where you cannot get away again if you get there.  That is the sign of his weapon, which makes me feel so cold.
	 Such an almost sickening high tone voice won't leave from my ear.  It seems that I'm at the other side of the dead body, blessed by a warm devil and the sharpness of icy knife.  I cannot find the words that can be fitted to such a man."