(TV) "ballet mecanique" looks so medieval!

hey all.  just got back from the museum of fine arts'
screening of _music for film_ with music by tom
verlaine and jimmy ripp.  <sigh>  what an utterly
amazing night.  for those of you who don't know or
haven't had to kill time at work by reading my
website, i am a film student and something of an
aspiring filmmaker.  the films i connect with most
right now (due to my own non-sync-sound setup) are
early silent films, particularly films that would be
considered experimental in this day and age -- soviet
montage, the lumieres, georges melies, that sort of
thing.  after seeing bad video dubs of "ballet
mechanique" in my experimental film class it was
brilliant to see a gorgeous, contrasty print show up,
and with such beautiful music!  i was also really
happy about "9413", which i'd never even heard of
before...the special effects, though they incited a
giggle from the audience, were amazing.  sure, it's
not _titanic_, but it had a beautiful effect and
someone with a super 8 camera (like, um, me) could
make a film like that in their kitchen.

the music was amazing, also.  i've never heard any of
tom's solo work (most of the solo work by other bands
isn't as good as the real thing), but if it's all like
this i want me some.  he is one of the most diverse
guitarists ever.  not even just stylistically (though
it was great to hear him and ripp go from the surf-y
stuff in the dreyer film to the more traditional
silent film music in "9413" to the _marquee
moon_-esque squall of the "ballet mechanique" score),
but the sounds he got out of it -- the chattery noise
that the talky 9413 made in that film, the bell
pealing in the dreyer film...wow.  just incredible.

and it was a real treat to meet two of the many
individuals who fill my mailbox on a daily basis.
joe, leo: if you're ever in the area again, the
scorpion bowl is on me.  :)

will tom be releasing any of this?  cos i want to hear
it again...

=====
chelsea the mod pixie*tugboat@channel1.com
       http://www.pixievision.com
"i'm very happy.  it's the songs that are depressed."
--kristin hersh