Re: (TV) City Lights & Tom Verlaine

According to Clinton Heylin's book, Television were completely convinced
Talking Heads were ripping them off. This is true in their image and perhaps
in the unadorned twangy Fender guitar sound, but Television always have
seemed to be associated with psychedelic garage music a la the Velvet
Underground, while the Talking Heads were much more interested in bubblegum
pop like 1910 Fruitgum Company and soul music, as well as quirky retro
1950's and 60's kitschy suburban television (as in the medium) culture. In
this sense, they were a quintessential "new wave" band, like the B-52's.
Television to me were always about musicianship and personal expression, a
sort of lower East side urban surrealist poetry meets Nuggets. Their image
had a superficial connection to the New Wave era, at least to me. I always
supposed Verlaine wanting to get rid of Hell had to do with Hell's desire to
be part of the New Wave scene. Didn't Robert Quine say something about Hell
never being sure whether he wanted to be a pop star like Elvis Costello or
sit at home doing nothing (read: be a poet) ?

Scott