RE: (TV) A television "fan" on amazon.com

I first heard TV on the ROIR cassette "singles" comp - 'Little Johnny Jewel' I bought it on one of my High School trips to The City, ripped it open and listened to it on the subway on my Walkman. The tape opens with the Patti Smith 'Piss FActory' single, then "Blank Generation" and then "L.J.J." This is around the time of the Polydor VU reissues (85?). I had to wait a few weeks for the local store to special order Marquee Moon (no inner sleeve). It quickly jumped to the top of my list. About six years later I was home for Thanksgiving break and went through my old LPs, pulled MM and with the aid of some sort of pharmaceuticals I had a beautiful loner rock experience while the rain drummed on my parents roof. My parents have since lost the house adding more sentimentality to this memory. Then I saw the (92) TV reunion in New York and was not disappointed. Notes all over the place. How about Matthew Sweet's video for "I've Been Waiting." Ri! chard's guitar, again, gorgeous.
http://www.mp3.com/murderedman
----- Original Message -----
From: Pontrelli, Paul Jay
To: tv@obbard.com
Sent: 2/26/01 3:45:58 PM
Subject: (TV) A television "fan" on amazon.com

I'm going to get some very angry e-mails over this review, but someone has
to tell the truth about this album: IT'S TERRIBLE!! I picked up "Marquee
Moon" because many of the bands I admire played with Television during the
CBGB's days, & this album is often referred to as a watershed recording from
that period. Upon first listening I wondered if the wrong CD had been put
into the packaging, but no such luck! The music on "Marquee Moon" has no
melody, no rhythm & no hooks. It is as if a bunch of philosophy majors in
college read about rock n roll without ever hearing it, bought some
instruments & formed a band. The most favorable comparison I can make is a
punk Be Bop Deluxe, but that is insulting to Bill Nelson! In short - buyer
beware!
lysistrata@qwest.net

--- Greggluvox
---http://home.earthlink.net/~murderedman