(TV) TV lyrics pretentious or poetic?

Leo said:
 > I do like the sound of Waters voice though, and agree with Phillip that
 > sometimes the sound of the words appeals to me more than the words themselves
> (e.g. Bowie, Waters) , but I wouldn't include Verlaine here---I think his
> words usually have a lot to say.

Really? What is "Marquee Moon" or "Souvenir from a Dream" about, anyhow? Or
"Mr. Bingo"?!

--Philip

Philip,

I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question or not?  I have a lot of ideas and theories on what "Marquee Moon" is about.  "Souvenier From A Dream" 's  'meaning' is relatively straightforward in comparion to MM.  I'm not sure I should subject the list to my interpretation of these songs.

But I think I get your main point, namely that there are several (the majority?) Verlaine songs whose lyrics appear to be inscrutable, obscure, nonsensical ("...corner turning corners..." ).  Some  my friends really dislike Television/TV music because they find the lyrics   too "arty or pretentiouis".

I do find them more poetic than most rock lyrics, but I think that's a good trait----their sometimes obscureness 'opens them up' allowing different people to have/give them their own interpretations---giving them a richness  that  more literal boy-meets-girl-then-boy-loses-girl -songwriter' lyrics don't have.  (But then maybe I'm just pretentious or full of crap myself?)

But even Verlaine lyrics can be simple and linear, yet still evoke great feeling, e.g., one of my all time favorites: "I was listening, listening to the rain/I was hearing, hearing something else."

	Leo