Re: (TV) pixies b-sides... addendum

A few corrections to my previous email:

I picked up the official COMPLETE B-SIDES today. There's a track on here I'd
never heard before - it's not on my bootleg of b-sides. It's a re-recording of
"River Euphrates" that's much wilder than the SURFER ROSA version. (For you
completists, they also re-recorded "Gigantic" at the same time for a 12" single
- this is now on the DEATH TO THE PIXIES compilation, along with the bootleg
B-SIDE FILE CD I mentioned last night).

The collection also includes Frank Black/Black Francis' notes on each track.
Perhaps the most interesting is what he writes for the Spanish-language version
of "Evil Hearted You" (which was written by Graham Gouldman for the Yardbirds):
"We did it in Spanish, and to Gouldman's credit, he wouldn't let us release it
until I got the translation right. It turns out Graham Gouldman speaks fluent
Spanish. I finally got it close enough after consulting the cook at my local
taqueria."

It turns out "The Thing" isn't a demo for "The Happening" - it's actually a
very different mix of the second half of the song.

The sound quality on a lot of these tracks is better than my bootleg - I
suspect some Nth generation cassette copies might have been involved in making
*that* CD!

Again, I gotta say, the new COMPLETE B-SIDES is a welcome release, and with the
exception of a few still-missing 'rarities', it's a must.

--Philip