(TV) Joey, Wayne and reunions

Joey Ramone has passed on.  At 49, it's not that tragically young, but for
those of us who remember him as such a young man (and who were young with
him), it's still a bit of a shock.  This pretty much eliminates the
possibility of an earthly Ramones reunion.

I remember reading an interview with Wayne Kramer, guitarist for the great
MC5, and hearing him talk about how it took the second MC5 funeral- Fred
Smith's - to make him realize how much the Five had been a band of brothers.
Guys who shared something really special together.  Regardless of how
acrimonious their breakup was, when you read interviews with the members now,
they all speak wistfully about their departed bandmates.

So enough "they-aren't-as-great-as-they-were",
"they're-doing-it-for-the-money" prattling.  Television, at their best, was so
much more than the sum of their parts.  This tour seems to be, at least in
part, an attempt to recapture that magical equation.  And we're the luckier
for it.

God bless you, fellows, for trying, and see you in Chicago.

- Rick Greenwald