Re: (TV) Now Playing

rick wrote
 There are times when
> RT sounds a bunch like Verlaine to me (parts of the live "Calvary Cross"),
> although Thompson was obviously out on record long before Television.
>
> Thoughts from the list?

I borrowed the Thompson 3CD anthology (Watching the Shadows?? pls correct me
if that's wrong) a few years back, and it had a wonderful Fairports song,
very long, very atmospheric, called 'A Sailor's Life'. To me it sounded like
a blueprint for MM, extraordinary guitar work, recorded in 1970. And on the
live Calvary Cross, Thompson's style is so like Verlaine's that it's
uncanny. (Opinion only ­ I don't play guitar, so someone might enlighten me
on whether their technique is actually similar, as well as the sound.)

np The Soft Boys, Underwater Moonlight. (Saw them last week ­ mostly
excellent but with a horrible twin guitar Thin Lizzy/Wishbone Ash workout as
the final encore. They did a fine version of 'Astronomy Domine' though.)

campbell