Re: (TV) Now Playing

At 7:17 AM -0400 4/29/01, Joe Hartley wrote:

I saw [Richard Thompson] last Saturday in Boston - just superb. The man gets more out of
one guitar than many entire bands!  He had Dave Mattacks com out and play
an encore.  Dave had a snare and a hi-hat, and the two of them filled the
sonic space completely.

[snip]

A superb show.  Right, Jesse?

You betcha. Any TV-heads out there who aren't familiar with RT should take the opportunity to see him if he comes to your town. I took a couple of novices to the Orpheum show and got the classic reaction: "I can't believe all of that music was coming out of just one man playing acoustic guitar!" (In case anyone doesn't know, Richard has a polyrhythmic playing technique in which he flat picks rhythm on the bass notes while independently finger-picking with the remaining three fingers - not to mention whatever he's doing on the neck at the time.) The astonishing thing about RT is that even though he's now in his fifties, he keeps improving as a guitarist, songwriter, and singer.

Rick Greenwald then wrote:

Oooh, with the band.  I am jealous.

No, it was solo acoustic except for the three songs during the encore when Dave Mattacks - now living in Boston - came out and joined Richard.

- Jesse