Re: (TV) Now Playing

At 11:23 AM -0400 4/30/01, Joe Hartley wrote (concerning Richard Thompson and Tom Verlaine):

If RT and TV were to collaborate, my head might explode from the greatness
of it all.  RT's previously worked on the monumnetal pieces; both Calvary
Cross and Sloth are monster pieces like MM that wax and wane emotionally
and pull the best from the performers.

Another such RT piece - and possibly my favorite RT song - is "Night Comes In." Definitely a similar aesthetic to MM, at least to my ears. I love these meditative pieces that leave room for exploratory soloing. Unfortunately RT rarely ever plays these slow-builders in concert anymore, reserving his hot-shit solos for heavier rockers like "Hard on Me," "The Way That It Shows," etc.

- Jesse