(TV) Human Sexual Response - OT and lengthy

----- Original Message -----
From: "greggluvox" > I'm not too familiar with Human Sexual Response
(although I always hear great things about them). Does anyone want to
contribute a blurb for my
> benefit?

A topic near and dear to my heart - when I was a wee lad in Boston - okay, a
scruffy college student - I wrote the first article published about them,
got 'em to play live at WERS, saw many shows, etc...anyhow, HSR had four
vocalists plus a guitar-bass-drums lineup. They sounded like a Phil Spector
chorus backed up by the Stooges at some times, and at others like the same
chorus backed by Pere Ubu.  There were very theatrical in their approach -
at one memorable show with the Moving Parts (AND a screening of Beyond the
Valley of the Dolls - they had class!) they all appeared in nurses uniforms;
there was lots of choreography, but lead singer Larry Bangor's songs were
the real attraction.  "I Want to Be Jackie Onassis" and "What Does Sex Mean
to Me" are probably their best known tunes, but you'll find some really
interesting music on their first album, reissued as Figure 15 by Rykodisc
and still in print, I think - check out "Dick and Jane", for example.
Guitarist Rich Gilbert wasn't afraid of noise, either - "Public Alley 909"
from their second (and out of print) album, is basically a feedback shriek
over a dance beat.  This, and several other HSR songs, feature some very
unsettling lyrics.  Oddly enough, they got their start as a country band
called "Honeybee and the Meadow Muffins."  They were really starting to make
some progress (I've got their live appearance on Evening at the Improv on
tape) when they broke up.  Larry and the musicians went on to form the
Zulus.  Rich Gilbert, the guitarist plays with Frank Black now, and drummer
Malcolm Travis was in Sugar.  Casey Cameron, who sang lead on "Onassis" is a
technical writer now; vocalist Dini does an act as Musty Chiffon, and I have
no idea what happened to the rest.  I do recommend at least checking Figure
15 out, and if you see a copy of their 2nd, "In a Roman Mood," grab it -
that's my all time fave.  For further info check the Rykodisc website and
www.rockinboston.com.