From: Philip P. Obbard [mailto:pobbard@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:21 AM
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) For anyone still looking...

I'm definitely NOT one of those "needs-every-pressing-from-every-country"
people!

Unfortunately, TOM VERLAINE has never come out on CD in the US. For a while,
both DREAMTIME and TOM VERLAINE were only available as pricey Japanese import
CDs (both including some pictures, an essay in Japanese, and mangled attempts
at the English lyrics).

DREAMTIME did come out in the US in 1994 on Infinite Zero records. This reissue
included two bonus tracks (both b-sides from 12" singles), lyrics, and an
essay, but unfortunately went out of print a few years later.

TOM VERLAINE was later reissued in Germany (and possibly the UK) on CD. But in
a typically lame record company move, the German/UK CD was a straight copy of
the Japanese CD - even the front and back cover were copies of the Japanese CD.
In fact, you'll notice black censor bars mar the bottom of the back cover of
the German/UK CD - they're blocking out the text that says (paraphrasing)
"Contents Copyright 1979, Warner Brothers/Elektra Japan, All Rights Reserved".
In other words, while Warner Brothers Japan actually found the artwork, tried
to get the lyrics, etc., everyone else just copied the Japanese CD, blacked-out
the parts that weren't relevant, and resold it.

As a result, I doubt there's any real difference between the Japanese, UK, and
German versions of TOM VERLAINE on CD. In general, the CD tends to be tough to
find, which I why I sent that email out.

--Philip