(TV) i'm a reasonable man, get off Radiohead's case.....

----- Original Message -----
From: Eric Veillette <ericgv@hotmail.com>

> I see a certain similarity between Johnny Greenwood's playing to Tom's,
and
> even a certain similarity between Thom and Tom's voices.

frankly i don't see much evidence of either Eric-much as i love Tom
Verlaine's voice (for its charm and tech limitations as anything else) the
guy can never hold a candle vocally to Yorke's tremulous choirboy warble and
as for the guitaring i 'd have to say that Greenwood ( a big favourite of
mine) seems much more in thrall to someone like John Mc Geoch or even
Hendrix (esp the way he experiments with the latest digi fx) than TV.

i think it's really lame that so many people are currently taking cheap pops
at Radiohead for trying to do something a bit different and less "rock"- it
speaks volumes about how conservative and smallminded most record buyers
have become - RH's last two records actually remind me a lot of Bowie esp
late 70's Bowie and the way he appropriated influences from the fringes of
the avantgarde and brought them into the mainstream - i really wish more
people did this -it's the lifeblood of most good popular music..

Also seeing Radiohead perform "The Pyramid song" on Top of the Pops a few
weeks
back in between all the usual insipid braindead aerobics-type dance pap was
as welcome and
inspiring a sight as i've seen in a long long time....

personally i love kidA and amnesiac, i think the fact that such a big
selling major label act is prepared to take such chances with their fanbase
and not pander to them in these dull corporate times should be heartily
applauded - my only criticism of RH would be that they just lighten up a bit
sometimes...

> If you take a listen to Can (like the "Saw Delight" EP I was playing
earlier
> this aft), you'll realize that Radiohead, in this new incarnation, are
> nowhere near the likes of the people they are trying to emulate.

that's garbage -what do you want - a carbon copy?anyhow  i hear more of a
Warp
label thang myself -Autechre and Aphex Twin to be more specific- i can also
think of much better Can lps to emulate than Saw delight - for me the Can
magic had mostly already departed by this stage ("i want more " excepted)
-for the uninitiated check out any of the following-
Monster Movie,Tago Mago,Future Days,Soundtracks....truly wonderful stuff.

>I'd say, in fact,
> that they are probably one of the greatest mainstream bands of the 90's.

> However, this "trying too desperately to sound like a rock band" thing has
> got to go.

what are you on about here man?...i would have thought that Bon Jovi is a
more fitting example of a band "trying too desperately to sound like a rock
band" no?

> But what do I know?

(silence)