RE: (TV) Mick Ronson

--- Cameron Pulley <cpulley@navicominc.com> wrote:

> What happened to Mick Ronson after he stopped recording with Bowie? Does he
> still make music?

You have to excuse me Cameron but I thought this was a joke! But I forgive you. No problems. For me Ronson definitely is one of the most important members of the big r'n'r family where Mr Bowie was the Master of the House in the early seventies. Reed, Iggy, Mott are some of the others. Ronno is very much responsible for the sound and arrangements on Transformer and the classic Bowie-albums 70-73. (Ronson/Bowie produced Reeds' only hit, Walk On the Wild Side.) His solo career in 73-74 was short. He never felt comfortable in that role. But the sound on the two solo albums (Slaughter On 10th Avenue and Play Don't Worry) is familiar. He was never a big songwriter, but made some great interpretations of tunes like Love Me Tender and even White Light/White Heat (originally recorded for Pin Ups.) In my opinion Bowie had pretty bad taste choosing his guitarists after Ronson. Ronson really ROCKED. The others never had a clue how to do that. (Fripp, Belew and Gabrels have other qualities.)

From: "Philip P. Obbard" <pobbard@yahoo.com>
After his split from Bowie in 1973, he did a few (unsuccessful) solo >records for Bowie's label.

Don't think they were that unsuccessful. Billy Porter was a hit over here.

He then worked with Ian Hunter on and off while producing,
playing and touring with other acts, including Dylan, David Johansen, >John Cougar Mellencamp

Others: Rich Kids, Dead Fingers Talk, Michael Chapman, Lisa Dalbello, Roger McGuinn, Andi Sexgang, Fatal Flowers, The Leather Nun and lots of others...

Hunter/Ronson were away from the musicbusiness in the mid-eighties but returned in 1989. On a tour Mick met a Swedish girl (they got a kid)and stayed here for one or two years. On a Swedish tour with Graham Parker Mick played some of his new tunes (released on Heaven and Hull). I saw them in Stockholm and the day after there was an article in a Swedish paper telling us Bowie was in the audience. He was on tour with Tin Machine and went to the show to see his old friend Graham Parker (?!?, idiots!!!). A day later there was a small notice about Ronsons decease. Very sad.

Sorry, but this is not THAT off-topic as you all think.

Does anyone know any true fairytales about Tom V. and what really happened on the Scary Monsters sessions? SecretX?

/Per