Re: (TV) Bowie/Verlaine

From: Cameron Pulley <cpulley@navicominc.com>
Did Bowie actually write most of his early songs?  I know they're all
credited to him, exclusively.  However, a number of them are quite
complicated (extreme key changes, obscure chord patterns, tempo and meter
changes throughout the song, etc.)

Cameron, your question is very interesting. The truth is, yes, he wrote it all himself. He always did. Except for the first single back in -64. (Only because you're not good on an instrument, doesn't mean you can't write songs.) I think the explanation regarding Bowies sometimes extraordinary compositions is, beside that he stole a lot, that he had a manager named Ken Pitt who tried to make a musicalartist of him (66-67 Deram/Decca released stuff) and that style of writing must have stayed with him. He was also inspired by Burroughs' "cut-up" technique and lots of other things. He never wanted to admit that he was interested in rock at all.

Didn't Tom Verlaine play on some of the sessions for Scary Monsters? >Did he and Bowie have creative differences?

Yes, he's there in the mix somewhere in the background. But he didn't want any credits for it. Bowie must be one of the biggest music-FANS in the world. He was a big fan of TV and was proud to have him in the studio. Yes, there must have been BIG creative and personal differences.