Re: (TV) Test/Blue Mask

IMO, yes. It even affects the 1993 VU reunion album... very compressed, very
FM-friendly. Or, as Steve Albini might describe it, it's "optimized for
listening to on your headphones as you ride the subway." Even LOADED, the most
"produced" VU studio record, has a much more natural and dynamic sound.

I think someone on this list once pointed out to me (Owen, maybe?) that, given
his distinctive late 80s/early 90s production style, Reed and his regular crew
(Rathke, etc.) c. 1992 could have made a live album that sounded exactly like
the VU reunion album did. As I recall, the reason the VU reunion didn't make it
to America was because Reed wanted production control over any material they
did (including, most famously, the planned MTV Unplugged show).

So we're not completely OT, I think the production on TV's 1992 album is mostly
timeless... they avoided lots of "contemporary" traps in the production.

--Philip