RE: (TV) Chicago

Having used MD to record some of my own live stuff, I've found it's _really_ easy to overload the mic pres. Your alternatives:

1) set manual record levels really low (if you can)
2) buy a battery module for your mics, to bring them up to line level, and use the line input
3) If that doesn't work, you may need attenuating cable or some other -20dB pad
4) buy a battery-powered mic pre

It's unfortunate that the things are so damn touchy, but otherwise they're great.

-Maurice