(TV) Velvets/Beatles/TV Influences

on 7/31/01 12:42 AM, DAYKARAK@aol.com at DAYKARAK@aol.com wrote:

> And yet again, we have a friendly reminder of one of the most important
> points of developing an appreciation of the VU: realizing that each album
> must be looked at as a totally different statement from the previous -and
> also as a document of a band caught up in a series of very different
> circumstances in each case.

I understand what you're saying, but I guess I have to be honest that I
don't really enjoy any VU album except the first one (Sorry Velvet fans, but
I'm just a Television fan here). The first album is really special. I'm not
saying that the others weren't full of great songs or whatever, but nothing
special to me. If you like 'em, you like 'em.

And about the Beatles again: I'll never say they were innovative geniuses,
or what not -- just that they opened doors for more expression in rock. A
technical fact. I should mention George Martin too. Anyway, maybe one might
not like the music...Fine. I don't like a lot of their songs either. But
many things accepted today as standard fare in rock were popularized by them
first: Studio techniques and effects, chord progressions, utility of
different instruments, etc.. I'll make a list if you want. If the Beatles
never were, it would have been someone else to pave that territory. But it
was the Beatles who did it, and I feel that they deserve serious credit
other than "Beatlemania".