Re: (TV) Velvets/Beatles/TV Influences

In message <B78BD327.4C7%joseph-k@swbell.net>, Ken Thompsen <joseph-
k@swbell.net> writes

> If the Beatles
>never were, it would have been someone else to pave that territory. But it
>was the Beatles who did it, and I feel that they deserve serious credit
>other than "Beatlemania".

I recall various interviews in which, among others, Roger Mcguinn and
some member of the Dead remembered taking import copies of, I think,
"Revolver" along to the rest of the band(s), and said "Listen to
_this_!" and everyone sat around afterwards aware that something had
CHANGED. And that what they'd just heard was going to change the way
they approached/made popular music. Whatever you think of the Beatles,
this is an inescapable fact. I doubt if anyone ever felt this way about
the Stones. Or the Kinks, or The Who (and that's not a dig at any of
these bands.)

And, to get back to the original thread, it wasn't the VU that Verlaine
talked about when he was discussing influences and music that had an
effect on him, it was British pop music and Petula Clark.