Re: (TV) Play it loud

From: Jesse Hochstadt <Jesse_Hochstadt@brown.edu>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Play it loud
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:34:46 -0400

Dan Jones wrote:

honorable mention for Marc Ribot's new band, "the Crackers", unrecorded as
yet but recent live show was the best thing I've seen in a while.

Hmmmm ... Any relation to Levon Helm's favored name for the Band? I'm
reading his memoir, This Wheel's on Fire, right now, and I'm just at
the point where the question of what they should call themselves
arose.

I think its supposed to be a slangy C&W reference

Who's in Ribot's group?

Ribot twangs and sings. Mark Anthony Thompson (from Chocolate Genius, also a very fine live band)sings and plays a funny little bass plus a superb bassist and drummer - whose names I didn't catch - and a "noise" guitarist.

What kind of music?

Um, they play both kinds of music, y'all. No, its a mix - evocative Morricone stylee twang-scapes, free improv country, a tribute to Charley Pride and a mean 'n' moody Roger Miller cover (if you can get to that). Certainly some of the coolest stuff I've seen of late...

- Jesse