(TV) Verlaine Studies / Jest / Timing Party Songs with Stopwatch

> (my mail was in jest and i'm glad to see
> you're not at all offended.....

Raymond,

I knew your e-mail was intended to be funny
(and it was), so I was not offended.

But after I sent my self-deprecating response I realized
that "Thanks for your concern, but I'll paraphrase Lou Reed:
"It's my wife, and it's my life." might be mistakenly interpreted
by you (or others) as:  Bugger off, it's my life and I'll
live/waste it in the manner that I choose!

I included the Reed quote as a parody as in:
(my TV obsession is my entire existence);
"[heroin] it's my wife it's my life."

> though the stopwatch thing is
> still doing my head in to be honest)...

In the 70s and 80s I used to make dance tapes on my reel-to-reel
and cassette machines for great dance-parties in Brighton, MA.
Occasionally a song "didn't work" on the dance floor (people voting
with their feet---by the way I'm pleased to report this never occurred
during Television/Verlaine songs, although I never tried playing
the song "Marquee Moon" as a dance tune).  So, later I'd decide to
edit-out that particular song/failure from the tape before for the next
party. It was because of such re-editing sessions that I became
acutely aware at how unreliable the times written on the actual
album covers or record labels could be.

Trying to replace, e.g., the 5th song on a tape with another often
caused the beginning of the 6th song to get accidentally
recorded-over, leading to me pulling out my hair and eventually
resorting to accurately measuring the length of the old 5th song
(from its very beginning to its original fadeout, say 3:05) with a stop
watch, and then searching my collection for a replacement song
(say, e.g., "Glory"  clocking in at 3:01) that would fit after
requiring/leaving a second or two of silence between songs, etc., etc.

	Leo

PS:  By the way, I am willing to bet any man, woman or child on the
MM list that the non cd version (i.e., vinyl album version) of
"Marquee Moon" is *NOT*  9:58 as record label claims it is
from tune's beginning to very end of its fadeout
(measurement performed with volume turned way up
so as not to underestimate length of its fade-out ending).

You will all (esp. Raymond) be very happy to know that I have
never performed this measurement on MM...............................