(TV) U-2 & Television a Stretch? / We Love You Detroit! / Hifalutin We bster Collegiate Dictonary Says Band Television Delivers the Goods

Keith, you're probably right.

On a number of levels it's true that it might be a bit
of a stretch that Television could appeal to or connect
with U-2 audiences (or bands who are U-2's musical
contemporaries and who also play the huge venues).
Television's music and TV's lyrics----together with a
deliberate lack of the usual banter with the audience
and other show-biz antics such as a lot of jumping
around on stage, derigeur for many young rock
audiences of today-----could be problematical in
getting a good reception to Television from this
particular segment of rock audiences.  Although I
must say that I salute and love Television for their
choice of a mostly staid, sober stage presence, which
lets the music itself do the talking and supply the
drama and camaraderie, instead of resorting to the
 usual bag of non musical tricks.

(I love that current SW Airlines "Need To Get Away?"
commercial on tv, in which after a thunderous first
song and screaming audience reception, the lead singer
yells out "WE LOVE YOU DETROIT !", followed by
deafening silence interrupted only by the bass player
sadly informing the lead singer that "Detroit" was
last night.)

Some of us remember several spontaneous
things that happened at the Television Chicago show
back in May not the least of which was the wonderful
audience sing-a-long to "Venus" (and I'm sure that the
other Television concerts this year (and in the past!  I
remember plenty of them) have had their spontaneous