(TV) (OT) The Velvets and Corporate America

>Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
>From: eric gregory <crackcity_2000@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: (TV) Re: TV Digest V1 #475
>

>>- --- DAYKARAK@aol.com wrote:
>>This is even
>> *more* true in the case of,
>> say, The Velvet Underground just because of the now
>> classic line about how
>> "few people bought it, but everyone who bought the
>> first VU record started a
>> band". No doubt you've heard PLENTY of morons trying
>> to talk about music and
>> landing on something like that; I've also found that
>> another favorite phrase
>> among these people happens to be "corporate
>> America". ;) Anyway, despite all
>> this, that doesn't make the VU suddenly "bad" just
>> because some shallow
>> idiots who want to appear to be smart pretend to dig
>> them, does it?
>>
>as for all this, just a quick scenario i witnessed not
>too long ago...
>rush hour traffic in the heart of downtown portland-
>as i'm crossing burnside ave., i hear "sister ray"
>exploding & i turn to see some youngish goateed suit
>in an ostentatious suv pumping the volume (& fighting
>the power too, i guess)....
>whatta miraculous vision it was...instant satori-like.

Were you thinking of the same Kids in the Hall sketch that I'm thinking
about now? :-)

But seriously, that shouldn't be too much of a surprise.  VU's now a part
of American culture, not just the alternative culture.  Wither that means
that they won ("We made it.  We won." --Lester Bangs), or that they've
been assimilated ("We are the Dull Muddy Mainstream Borg.  All your good
stuff will be assimilated."), or a combination of both will be left as an
exercise for the reader.

Sorry for the snideness.  I've been posting to lists all day, and I'm
tired.

Christine "Green Leafy Dragon" Indigo, Internet Pornographer,
Roguelike/Interactive Fiction Missionary and Proud Member
of the -=UDIC=-
christineindigo@juno.com