Re: (TV) Diff. kind of "what's playing" list

At 12:27 PM -0700 9/14/01, Brian Young wrote:
Colin Newman- Commercial Suicide

I love that record.  Very moving, even with some of that 80s-ism
going on in the synth sounds.  The songs are really, really good.

--
Maurice Rickard

It is a great record, and I quite like his follow-up "It Seems". I am going to re-examine Wire because I just read their bio "Wire...Everybody loves a history". Made me remember just how important they were to me in my Year of True Musical Awakening (1979, when I first heard Television, Wire, Gang of Four, The Clash and Buzzcocks).

Anyway, this book cleared up a fact for me. For years I've been thinking (and saying) that when I saw Wire play the Paradise in Boston in '87 (June 14th) it was the first time they ever played in the US. Not so: it was their first *tour* of the US, but their 5th show on that tour. Another theory shot to shit, as the Minutemen would say. It was a great show, though- Graham Lewis wore a suit, and a contingent of smarties right in front of him sang the chorus of his song Mr. Suit to him ("No No No No No No Mr. Suit!").

If anyone has the Wire album "Behind the Curtain", could you please contact me off list?

Thanks,

Brian

http://members.tripod.com/raggedglory57/index.htm