Re: (TV) only ones

Oh yeah. Great songwriting, great performances. I've picked up everything
they've done recently, and it's almost all solid (although the 3rd LP is
spotty). REMAINS, a posthumous compilation, also has some great studio
material, although the sound on the CD is dodgy.

Hands-down, the most essential Only Ones recording is THE PEEL SESSIONS. After
that, you might try SPECIAL VIEW (a US-only compilation of their first single,
and tracks from their first two LPs) or go straight for either their eponymous
debut or EVEN SERPENTS SHINE. The aforementioned IMMORTAL STORY is a nice
compilation too, and makes SPECIAL VIEW unnecessary, but I find the last 1/3
(with the later period, weak studio material getting replaced by even weaker
"rare" versions) hard to listen to.

Peter Perrett did a solo album in 1996 called WOKE UP STICKY which is easily
one of my favorite records of the 1990s; it's arguably superior to the Only
Ones studio LPs, too.

--Philip