Re: (TV) top 20/overrated

Hmmm

The reason I was calling SRV "wonder bread" is cos of the recycled nature of his 'licks', but whatever. He reminds me of that guy from Ten Years After, Alvin Lee (I think). I'll allow that he was technically superb, fast etc, but when has that ever been what what music was about? And for the record, I do think its a bit criminal that Clapton, SRV and others have been lionized when Otis Rush, R.L Burnside and Buddy Guy et al are still with us.

Dan

From: eric gregory <crackcity_2000@yahoo.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) top 20/overrated
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:51:07 -0700 (PDT)

boy, i don't really wanna get into this too deep cos i
don't know shit bout most of these guitarists & don't
really care too much, but from what i've heard of
satriani, malmsteen, vai, etc, i'd put vaughan above
em...he plays with some inner conviction & is
show-offy but in an entertaining way, unlike the
diddley-humping assholes like eddie van halen,
satriani, etc are noted for...
plus he played actual blues-based songs, not classical
crap or pseudo metal-jazz...
i'd never own one of the dude's albums & i rarely ever
listen to his stuff & i agree he tended to play for
white audience expectations, but he could really
play...
& damn, there're some shit-lousy jl hooker records out
there...i saw him in 87 & he had a white barblues-band
backing him & it was AWFUL.