Re: (TV) You know, reading this list hasn't been half as fun since last Tuesday...

As Maurice said, a lot of things haven't been as much fun. I lived in the
Northeast until I moved to Seattle a year ago and have strong ties and many
friends in the NYC area, none of whom were anywhere near the WTC last
Tuesday (and I'll always be grateful to whatever powers there were for
that).  While I agree that such an horrific act must be responded to, I have
some doubts about the way things are moving.  The most distasteful:  the
airlines immediately looking for a handout, the layoffs occurring (wouldn't
the most patriotic thing to do be to keep people working at a time like
this?) and Michael Jackson seizing the moment to announce the recording of a
tribute song.
Come to think of it, the worst thing to happen to Afghanistan would be for
us to come in and stomp the country flat (given it's current condition and
allowing for a lack of nuclear and biological weapons - something that's by
no means certain - it might take a weekend if no one breaks for lunch),
since historically, after we do stomp someone flat, we help them rebuild -
and thoroughly change the culture in the process.  I wonder if the Taliban
has considered the ramifications of a Starbucks or McDonald's in Kabul